Sunday, November 28, 2010

Surgery is tomorrow....


Keep the prayers a-coming! As most of you already know Scarlette will be getting her g-tube placed in her belly tomorrow. This will help her get more food than she will take by mouth, and the ultimate goal is to have her gain weight and grow to become stronger and hopefully aid her developmentally as well. She is also getting something called an esophageal wrap. This is where they take the topmost part of the stomach and stitch it around the esophagus to tighten the opening and prevent reflux. Her reflux is so bad that it's causing her to have a very negative reaction to eating and she is not eating enough to get the nutrition she needs. But you can't have a nissen (wrap) without a g-tube as once you have one you can no longer vomit or burp and so that hole replaces the mouth in those instances. She is also having an appendectomy, but only because they take out the appendix any time they do abdominal surgery to prevent future appendicitis. The surgery should only last about 3 hours but Scarlette has had a negative reaction to the anaesthesia in the past so we are praying she has no negative reactions this time!

I have been doing ALL the normal fun things we do during Christmas (seeing Santa, decorating the house, Christmas shopping, Christmas pics) the past two weeks because I wanted Scarlette to have a "normal" Christmas before the surgery. I just don't know how she's going to be feeling once the surgery takes place, and how long her recovery time will be. I am hoping she will be back to her normal self in the next two weeks but I didn't know for sure so I made sure she got to do LOADS of fun things before her surgery. Call me crazy, but I am a planner and I just wanted everything to be perfect for her!

So now I am asking for prayers for a couple things. The first: that Scarlette is as strong as she has been in the past and that she recovers very quickly; the second: that the doctors have steady hands and wisdom and discernment as the anaesthesiologists intubate her and put her to sleep, and as the surgeon does the procedure; and third: that my husband and I understand that we are doing the right thing for our daughter and that we have peace during the surgery and the recovery that is to follow. And last, that we are able to be there for her whenever she needs us, but that we can rest whenever she doesn't, so that we are stronger when she does! Thank you all so much for your support. I hope to be updating the blog every night of the surgery when my husband and I trade shifts. :0)

In His name,

the Skrove's

2 comments:

  1. Prayers sent for Scarlette, Mommy and Daddy... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you and your family. My son just had his 2nd G-tube placed this summer. I understand what you are going through. I don't know you, but I know that Heavenly Father sent you an angel. I read your post about the surgery being cancelled. I agree completely that a children's hospital is the best place to be. I wouldn't have it any other way for my little guy. He is about to undergo his 28th surgery in 2 weeks, and I want the best for him and your little one. Thank you for sharing your story. Can they give her Versad before the surgery? My thoughts and prayers are with you. Best of luck to your little Scarlette...

    ReplyDelete