Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Scarlette ATE today!!!!


I am so proud of my baby girl! She has been teething like crazy, and as a result chewing on her binky, her shirt and her sleeves, so today I thought I would try a little bit of food. She has been exclusively g-tube fed except for water for at least six months. We had pretty much given up on her taking any baby food by mouth until she gets her adenoids removed, due to breathing constriction. But seeing her chewing on her shirt and knowing she's obviously producing and swallowing a lot of saliva gave me hope that maybe she would tolerate a little bit of baby food. So I grabbed a container of plums/bananas and while she was watching Mickey (her favorite show) I started feeding her. She recoiled at the sensation at first but I think she really enjoyed the taste because she started eating bites off the spoon with relative ease. She wasn't super excited or anything but she wasn't rejecting it. I started with very small amounts and gradually put a little more on the spoon once I saw she wasn't spitting it out or pocketing it in her mouth. She at a 1/3 of the container in one sitting. She may have taken more but I didn't want to push her on her first time. Now we will be trying solids at least 2 times daily and I am so excited for what this means in the future. It would be amazing for her to start taking more by mouth. Please pray for continued success! :0)

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting! I'm so happy to hear such a wonderful update.

    ReplyDelete